Friday, August 6, 2010

Turn out the lights.....the party's over!

So Jeff and I have made it official that we are done having children as of today.

And it's a very bittersweet closing on a chapter in our lives.

But also a very necessary one.

Don't get me wrong, even if we "could" continue having children, which, yes, technically we could, but we all know that it is not medically advised, but if we were able to have children safely, we probably would still be finished having children. Two was always our magic number, regardless of what we had. Two is a great number. You are always busy, but not to the point of total madness, you have two hands to hold two little hands, two parents to man the children when things get chaotic, etc.

But I guess what's so hard is that it is all very final and done. It's just another part of my life that is "done." There's no more quick trips to the pharmacy to pick up a test or that total excitement when the test comes up positive. There's no more baby registries or dreaming of nurseries or thinking up baby names.

Remember when you were in junior high and high school and you would sit at your best friend's house and talk about baby names and who you wanted to marry when you grew up and what you wanted to be? All that has happened for me and now that part is over. It's just really sad, like saying goodbye to an old friend that will never return.

But in another way, it is very liberating. Now we can focus on raising our sons, looking forward to all the fun things we will do as a family: vacations to snow ski, the boys playing Little League Baseball, their first day of school, their first dance, their first girlfriend, etc.

One chapter of my life has ended while another is just beginning, and that part is exciting!! But sometimes you wish you could just savor that last part of the book a little longer. But unfortunately, in life, unlike a book, we can't turn back the pages....we just have to keep moving along to find out what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've reread this post at least 4 times now. Its just that its so true! I am so sentimental about certain parts of my life, and I'm always wishing they'd lasted a little bit longer. What you wrote makes me think about how by doing that I might be missing out on enjoying the chapter of life I'm in right now! Thanks for sharing. I miss ya girl. We always were able to talk about the deeper things in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to enjoy where you are now. And look forward to things to come. But I try to not look too far forward either. Every time Jay wants extra kisses and lovings at night, I always go back and give them; tomorrow may never come. Yes, enjoy the page of the book you are on NOW. Don't take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete